Going Green - Green News from the Vennekretsen Lodge
GRØNNE NYHETER (Green News)
Have a computer? We will not mail the newsletter but rather distribute it via email and eventually post it on our website (it is in the works). We will have some copies for you at the general meetings if you are not able to receive it electronically. Tusen takk in advance for considering the wellbeing of our trees and forests.
GREEN in Norway: Growth in GDP and individual consumption add to increased waste generation. Emissions of methane from landfills contribute to Norway's gas emission and thus to global warming. And proliferation of hazardous chemicals through seepage water from landfills may contribute to the bioaccumulation of these chemicals in the food chain.
However, there are important positive developments. Recovery has increased by 69 per cent the last decade, so less waste is being land filled. Stricter standards for pollution from landfills and incineration have helped as driving forces for utilizing waste as a resource. These developments have also led to reduced emissions from the waste sector.
View other Environmental News from Norway
Did you know...... If the thermostats in every house in America were lowered 1 degree Fahrenheit during the winter, the nation would save 230 million barrels of crude oil – enough to fill an oil tanker 400 times. (That’s the amount of oil being imported into the United States from Iraq each year.
Honor Roll Replacing just one 500 sheet toll of virgin toilet paper a year with one 500 sheet of 100 percent recycled paper in every American household would leave 424,000 trees standing – 16 times as many trees as in New York City’s Central Park.
Paper in Norway:
Norske Skog Skogn is a paper mill located in Levanger in Norway. The mill was the first mill in the Norske Skog Corporation and opened in 1962. It has three paper machines and produces 600,000 tons of newsprint annually. The company that operates the mill has now become one of the largest producers of newsprint in the world, owning plants throughout Europe, Asia, South America and Oceania.
Norske Skog will assume its share of the responsibility for reducing global greenhouse gas emissions. Norske Skog aims to reduce its total annual greenhouse gas emissions by 25 per cent, about 1,000,000 tons of CO2, by 2020.
The climate ambitions of Norske Skog’s management are fully in line with the goal of the Combat Climate Change (3C) initiative, of which Norske Skog is one of the founding members. The reductions will take place through reduced energy consumption, conversion to alternative sources of energy and other measures.
Norske Skog SUSTAINABILITY REPORT climate Norske Skog was an early adopter of certified environmental management systems, and has worked systematically with this since 1996. In the summer of 1996, Norske Skog Skogn and Norske Skog Bruk were among the first mills in the world certified to the ISO 14001 environmental management standard.
Paper recycling in US
Americans Set a New Record for Paper Recovery in 2007
- More than 56 percent of the paper consumed in the U.S. during 2007 was recovered for recycling — an all-time high.
- In total, 54.3 million tons of paper and paper board products were recovered last year in the United States — approximately 360 pounds for every man, woman and child in the country, up from 233 pounds per person in 1990.
- The amount of paper being recovered far exceeds the amount sent to landfill sites. Every ton of paper that is recovered saves 3.3 cubic yards of landfill space.
- Enough paper was recovered for recycling last year to fill 130 Empire State Buildings.
- Since 1990, when the paper industry established its first recovery goal to advance recycling in the United States, paper recovery has grown by more than 87 percent.
- tremendous increase in recovery, as each percentage point represents nearly one million additional tons of recovered paper — enough to fill more than 14,000 railroad cars.
Four ways to inspire eco-awareness in your kids
- Grow your own farmers market..
- Build a see-through compost pile ( leaves, vegetable scraps, coffee grounds, grass, layered with dirt inside a clear soda bottle with holes for ventilation),
- Backyard birding……. (Backyard Birds by Houghton Mifflin)
- Create recycled art…….. Check out kaboose.com